Food \ Healthy Skeptic

Should You Adopt a Gluten-Free Diet?

"My cousin told me how she had gone gluten free and it really helped her, so I decided I would try it and it really made a difference in my life."

If you pay attention to food labels, you've probably noticed the words "gluten free" showing up more and more. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye... and a growing number of people say they're trying to avoid it. But for many of them, that may be unnecessary.

Gluten is in all kinds of foods--everything from beer and balogna to pasta and waffles. Going gluten-free is clearly beneficial for those who have a condition known as celiac disease. For them, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, impairing the body's ability to absorb nutrients.

The condition is diagnosed with a blood test and biopsy. It's estimated to affect a bit less than 1 percent of the U.S. population. But what about the remaining 99 percent of us?

Well, some people who don't have celiac disease say they have trouble digesting gluten.

While there's no standard medical test for this problem, going off gluten may make sense for these individuals if it helps them feel better.

As for claims that a gluten-free diet is effective against arthritis, autism, diabetes or other conditions, there's little evidence.

Nor is there proof that shunning gluten can help control your weight or make you healthier overall if you don't have celiac disease.

Still, a gluten-free diet can be beneficial if it forces you to cut back on refined carbs such as pastries, cookies, and white bread and on calories overall.

But read labels carefully on gluten-free breads and other products. Some can be higher in calories and lower in fiber and B vitamins than the conventional versions.

Because gluten is in so many foods avoiding it takes lots of effort. Unless you absolutely have to stay away from gluten, better to devote that time and energy to eating a healthful diet overall, which includes lots of fruits and vegetables. For that, no label reading required.


This entry last modified on: March 4, 2014 5:33 PM

Comments: (2)

I am not great at math but with Celiac affecting 1 out of every 133 people that seems like way more than 1%. Also 1 out of every 6 people are gluten resistant have a sensitivity to it do it its a real thing for a lot of people to avoid.

Yes, Shannon, so true. I have 2 friends that get the hives from eating gluten & a sister & daughter who can't eat it. We don't need it! Our food is sooo toxic today with pesticides, herbicides,Roundup ready, growth hormones & antibiotics, it's no wonder there is sooo much cancer etc.

Add a Comment:

WELLNESS

Cooking with Arthritis

Cooking with Arthritis

Kitchen tasks can be a challenge with arthritis. Here’s how to prepare meals with less pain.

FITNESS

Tai chi for Your Health

Tai chi for Your Health

How these slow, gentle exercises can boost your immunity.

FUN

Mood Food

Mood Food

Why your diet may not be agreeing with your energy type.

About the Video

More people are avoiding foods that contain gluten, a protein in wheat, barley and rye. But is gluten really bad for most of us? Our Healthy Skeptic has the facts.

coffee-is-good-for-you-book
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT

Connect With Us

Got a health claim you'd like us to check out? Send a video or e-mail us.

If your suggestion is selected, we'll contact you about featuring it in an Everwell segment.